Saturday, March 31, 2012

Event Horizon, 4/8: BOBBY JOE EBOLA AND THE CHILDREN MACNUGGITS, DELANEY AND PARIS, AUTRY, GIANT RUINOUS MONSTER WRESTLING II: ELECTRIC BUGALOO

The same weekend that the GoofPunx will be hosting all-ages shows all over PDX (see previous post here), we'll be holding something resembling an unofficial after-party here at Slabtown with Bobby Joe Ebola and the Children MacNuggits, Delaney and Paris, Autry and Giant Ruinous Monster Wrestling II: Electric Bugaloo. Five bucks, cheap.

The first time I saw BJE and the CMN was when we played with them in Sacramento in '96 or '97, and I actually left because they offended me. I remember walking into the theater and they were playing "I Wish I Was Special." When Corbett got to the line about Michael Jordan signing his catheter and selling it for a Jag, I turned around and left. (That is my shame; things used to offend me. Funny things.) In the years since, though, not only have I become much harder to offend, but BJE and the CMN's music has also "progressed." The slapstick is still there, but at times a genuinely socially-conscious message seeps through (see, "Sandwiches and Ammunition" below). While their recordings have always featured something resembling a full band, this is the first time they'll be touring as more than a folk two-piece.

Although I frequently watch Delaney and Paris videos through the interwebs (At night. Alone. In bed.), I've never seen them live. I kinda assume that people are familiar with them, but for this little bloggity-do, I'll pretend you aren't. DP, as they sometimes call themselves, are a pair of wimmins (b-b-b-b-boobies!) who play acoustic songs about some randy topics--masturbation, swallowing cum, their vajayjays. I hope to see a lot of guys hiding inappropriate erections.

Autry is nothing short of pure bitchen, and I'm pretty stoked she'll be playing here twice in the month of April (on this bill and again on 4/26 as part of the "Slabtown Throwdown" with comedian/author Bucky Sinister, a variety of local poets, and Juicy Karkass). She's one of those singer/songwriters that knows how to run a gamut of emotions with her music, from the self-effacing to the sublime. I've only had the chance to see her at house shows, so I'm also pretty stoked that I'll finally be able to see her with a full-blown sound system to back her up.

Before and between bands, we'll also be bringing back Giant Ruinous Monster Wrestling. For those of you who missed the first GRMW on our opening night because you were home watching the latest episode of Ghost Whisperer or Wife Swap, GRMW is giant monsters battling among cardboard cityscapes with comedians Xander Deveau and Trevor Thorpe calling the play-by-play. Destruction, mayhem, and yuks. And, Giant Ruinous Monster Wrestling II: Electric Bugaloo should be bigger, better, stronger, faster, and more funner than the first one. Well, if nothing else, it'll be more organized. Opening bouts happen early in the evening, with the battle royale being held before BJE and the CMN take the stage.

As always, we'll be running "sound check specials" from 8 until the time GRMW. I haven't made up my mind whether our so-called "signature drink" for the night will be the "Children MacNuggit" or the "DP."

Links:
Bobby Joe Ebola "Ghost Riders in the Hood" video
Bobby Joe Ebola "Sandwiches and Ammunition" video
Bobby Joe Ebola "Sweet Shit of Christ" video
DP "TMI/I'd Swallow It (for You)" video
Autry "BUG" video

1 comment:

  1. I almost forgot to mention, there's still a slot or two open for monsters. If you're interested, get in touch...

    ReplyDelete