Saturday, March 31, 2012

What You Missed, 3/30: Twist and Play Scooterists and DJ Zia McCabe


Gotta say a huge thanks to Skyler and the Twist and Play Scooterists for coming in last night and taking over Slabtown. 100+ guys and gals on scooters, at least one old school Puch moped, a couple guys from as far away as Kentucky, and Zia McCabe of the Dandy Warhols. The two things I love most about the Scooterists: 1) Finally, someone made full use of the kissing booth, and 2) They brought a gen-u-ine cavalry sword for their induction ceremony (and gave me an excuse to break out my katana).

Yep, while you were at home watching reruns of Twilight, the Scooterists were giving each other hickeys for a dollar and tapping each other on the shoulders with 30" inches of American steel. 

And, Zia brought out some pretty bitchen records last night. At one point, I think I scared her a little as I came charging at her from behind the bar. "ARE YOU PLAYING WANDA JACKSON!?! Oh, my GOD!!! I la-la-la-LOOOOVE Wanda Jackson!!!" (An aside--I wanted to tell you that she was gonna be there playing records, no cover, but the party was for the Scooterists, and all you would have done was take up space on the dance floor and make the lines to the bathroom longer. Sorry. Sometimes what we do is secret; see also, What You Missed, 3/24, which I haven't written about yet. (An aside inside an aside--I did have to tell my roommate Gaston about it, though. He moved here eight or nine years ago specifically because he was in love with Zia, and... Nevermind, you probably wouldn't understand anyway.))

Anywho, look for her band Brush Prairie to play Slabtown sometime soonish...


No comments:

Post a Comment